Sunday, November 13, 2016

Looking Back (Over My Shoulder)

 We have come a far ways. One-third of our project is done (or nearly done) after we turned in our literature review. My only concern is that since I revamped my entire literature review, that new problems will have arisen. I am a little concerned about how I introduce my research gap in my literature review, so I still need to keep working on my literature review, even as we move onto the methods section. Overall, I feel confident in my literature review, and I can’t wait to get moving with the research part.

It's a pretty good song.

 For the future, the largest parts of my paper that remain are my methods and my research. My methods will most likely be qualitative, because I will be looking for thematic differences. How I am expecting to go about this is by watching the dubbed version and subbed versions of the anime episode and comparing the side by side. I can then note the specific differences between then and from there make my qualitative inferences from what those themes are. I have one source, Brian Ruh, that used a similar method to the one I am planning on using. For a part of his study, Ruh compared the Americanized version of an anime movie to the original anime, and stated major differences and how they changed the complexity and themes of the original anime. This is his passage: 

For example, at one point Zandra (Nausicaa in the Japanese) says to Selena (Kushana) that she doesn't believe Selena is evil, to which Selena replies, "Oh, but I am." Later, when advised that it s too soon to revive the ultimate weapon she has planned, Selena scoffs, "Its never too soon to rule the world." Such utterances work against the complexity of the world Miyazaki tried to create in the original Nausicaa film, which was never supposed to present two opposing sides in such stark terms. 

 Although this passage was the only part of Ruh’s paper that used such a comparative-thematic analysis, I am thinking of expanding on this example and making it the base for my methods sections. I have tried looking for other sources, although I have not come up with any that use a similar method, I have found a few sources that use thematic analysis in their methods. Most of these sources though use thematic analysis for  texts, and I have yet to find one for movies, but I’m sure there are some out there, I just need to look harder. Overall, I am excited for the project, proud of myself and everyone else who has made it this far, and I can’t wait to get going with my research. 


 Word Count: 400 or something like that

3 comments:

  1. Heyyyyy. Good stuff finishing your literature review. You're right that it takes a lot of weight off your shoulders but make sure to remember that it's still a work in progress.

    The text color in the middle of your blog post is a bit freaky but it seems to me that you have a good source to start compiling your methods. It also seems like you will be taking the thematic analysis route--looks like a good choice. Just make sure that your methods seek to avoid being too subjective.

    Keep it up homie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sergio, I need your comments to be more robust than this.

      Delete
  2. My question for you is that the quote you pulled seems to be really aligned with what you're planning on doing. How is your research distinct from that? I think you answering that question will help you clearly articulate the gap.

    ReplyDelete