Sunday, April 16, 2017

Trigger Warning

The moment I finished answering my final oral defense question, my mind just went numb. I was done. Full-on Senioritis kicked in immediately. I did not want to do anything. My IQ dropped by a 100 points. My sanity suddenly returned to me. Stress became a foreign concept to me—waiting to be rediscovered during my college days. AP Research immediately ended...UNTIL I REALIZED I HAD TO WRITE ONE LAST BLOG. In the words of Mrs. Haag: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. So here I sit drunk off of Froyo and high off of Youtube videos, debating whether or not I want to write this last blog. Do I want to feel Mrs. Haag’s wrath or do I want to watch another Youtube video? Man, that’s a tough decision...alright, so that is it for this week’s blog, thank you for reading, I will be wasting away my life watching Youtube videos until COLLEGE.
Image result for finally done
Finally we are done.



































HA! Just kidding. Did you really think that I would do such a thing like that? Well, if you did, you are right.
























Ok. I was kidding. I am for real this time. Or am I?


























Ok. Ok. I’ll stop. In all seriousness though, this has gotten me to 200 words, so I am already halfway to the word requirement. FINE. I will actually stop trolling. I am actually going to be serious now. Like actually. Trust me.


AP Seminar, in my opinion, was a lot tougher than AP Research. It was the learning curve—that transition from 10th grade level of thinking to Seminar level thinking— that we had to go through that ultimately made Seminar so tough. The techniques that I learned in Seminar ultimately made my life in Research a lot easier, since Research was essentially a larger, more comprehensive, more independent version of Seminar.


For me, AP Seminar improved my thinking and my writing skills. First, I learned new techniques on how to think about an argument or a topic through different perspectives (or lenses). It forced me to think about potential counterarguments and also taught me to address such counterarguments. Seminar changed the way I looked at and formulated an argument, but most importantly it improved my writing. I learned how to properly formulate an argument, organize my line or reasoning, and word my claims.


AP Research was essentially Seminar on steroids. Most of the tools that I had gained in Seminar were used in the literature review of my paper. Everything else in AP Research was another brand new learning experience. But, although the independent research part of AP Research was incredibly difficult, it was not as steep of a learning curve as the one we had in Seminar.


Research essentially took the tools we learned in Seminar out of the “bubble” that was the BASIS Scottsdale classroom and forced us to apply everything we learned to “the real world.” Also, Research really forced me to up my presentations skills. Yes, Seminar taught me a lot about presenting, but it was Research that really took it to the next level.


Last, but not least, the OG, the BAWS, the Ms. Hol—I mean—Mrs. Haag. She worked her butt off for us. She really helped us all the way through the process. If it weren’t for her, I might be out on the streets begging. Mrs. Haag literally killed it this year with everything, she was there every step of the way and helped all of us feel confident about our Research experience.


But the best lesson I learned was how to plagiarize and get away with it.













Ok. Ok. I’m just kidding. I think I just gave Mrs. Haag a heart attack there. I did not plagiarize (I actually got a 5% on my Originality check so everyone calm down).


But, the biggest lesson that AP Capstone taught me was…how to procrastinate.  





































Jk. AP Capstone was a really valuable experience and I am really confident that it taught me skills useful for college and beyond that other classes could not teach me.



Word Count: 666 (I swear this was totally on accident...so...Happy Easter?)

4 comments:

  1. I loved watching your presentation and that blog post was hilarious! XD I have to say that I agree with a lot of your points about AP Seminar being where a lot of the learning happens and Research is where it goes into practice -- and on steroids, since you are doing your own research now, and taking all the steps necessary to not only find a research gap and answer the question, but do so with a credible method and all the justifications necessary to back/defend your claims. And yes, Ms. Haag was an essential aspect of the process, and her helping us and pushing us to better our writing, presentation, and teamwork skills not only allowed us to get through the AP Capstone program successfully, but it will definitely help us in the future. You have done such great work throughout the last two years, and I am super excited to see where you go in the future! In the meantime, happy relaxing and enjoying your YouTube videos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gursajan -- I don't understand why, at the end of it all, you would try to give me several heart attacks in your final blog post. I know it comes from a place of love, but my god.

    Ultimately, I just wanted to convey how proud I am of you, and I really appreciate the kind things you said about me. It was a real privilege to be able to work with someone so famous (but not famous enough to not say your name). You did an amazing job on Friday, and I hope you're very proud of the work that you've completed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gursajan!!!! My boi!!!!!!! I didn't know you had enough IQ points to drop by 100? Wouldn't that leave you with an IQ of 0? Hahahah jk, you are v smart you know that. That post was literally a rollercoaster to read so I can't even imagine how Mrs. Haag felt reading it.

    You are so right that Seminar was kind of a hand-holding pre-Research experience where we learned all these skills. And then for Research we were able to implement them but INDEPENDENTLY, which was scary at first but will be very useful later on. Mrs. Haag was someone we could always rely on so it wasn't thaat scary, I suppose.

    I didn't watch your presentation (soz), but if Mrs. Haag says you did great, you probably did great. And I was in your class in Seminar, so I know you are an awesome presenter. Good job doing such an interesting topic and completing high school!!!!!!!!! CATCH YOU ON THE FLIPPITY FLIP, I know you will do amazing in college and bond with other anime nerds! also dude my post was also 666 words. oops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alright first things first, I'm not gonna lie. The fact that you used many spaces to confuse people was totally lost on me and I legitimately kept refreshing the page because I thought some GIF or image wasn't loading. I guess you're not the only one who lost a bunch of IQ points ;)

    I 100% agree that the learning curve from 10th grade to Seminar was immense, and that it challenged us on a whole new level. I also agree with you that it was also a necessary jump for us to be successful college students!

    Also I totally don't believe you when you say the 666 was on accident. Thanks so much for watching my presentation and I'm really bummed out that I missed yours :(

    Anyways, I already know you're gonna kill it in college but have a great summer and enjoy those YouTube videos!!!

    ReplyDelete