Sunday, January 22, 2017

So Far...

I have recorded the changes in 8 different Dragon Ball Z episodes. The transcription process is going very smoothly so far. But, it is a process that has proven to be a lot more tedious than I previously thought. First, I expected to finish each episode in 1 hour, but then I realized that it takes almost an hour and a half to analyze each episode, especially since I have to often go back and forth within the episodes to correctly transcribe the change. The episodes themselves have quite a few changes to record. At first it took me even longer to record all the changes because I was recording every small change, even if a few words were switched around. When doing this, I found myself writing down practically every line of dialogue in the episode. I realized that I have to distinguish between purposeful changes and simple translation errors.

I am finding quite a few interesting changes. For example, like I mentioned in class, one pattern I have noticed is that the American version often talks about time as a precious commodity whereas the Japanese version does not address time as often. However, I know that the toughest part is still to come, because it will be very difficult to group all of the different changes into themes. After reading over the data collected so far, I found that many of the changes either had multiple different elements to it, while some have no obvious thematic difference between themselves. As I collect more data, hopefully I will be able to make better connections between the changes.

"Cheer up! The worst is yet to come." --Mark Twain
Regarding the schedule, I am behind, mostly because analyzing the episodes took a lot longer than previously expected. But I am not worried, because even if I can not watch two episodes per day now, I am confident that I will be able to catch up when we get out of school in two weeks. Further, I originally planned the schedule with One Piece in mind, and One Piece had almost 50 episodes just in its first season. Now that I have switched over to Cowboy Bebop, I have a little bit more wiggle room since there are only 26 episodes in the whole show. Still, though, it is very important that I catch up with the schedule. Overall, however, the research has gone pretty well. Although there are a few challenges, there is no large problem that has came up with my research and I’m excited to see what I find.           

Word Count: 420


                                                                                                                                                       

2 comments:

  1. Gursajan -- I think the complication that you brought up -- that some categories might not fit neatly into one or any themes -- is really important. What's missing, here, however, is how you plan on dealing with that? What if two themes are present in the change? Will you categorize it twice? What if no themes are present? Will you categorize it as an "unimportant" change? How will you decide that no themes are present? Just some preliminary questions I have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Gursajan! First off, I love the new design of your blog! Also, why/when did you switch from One Piece to Cowboy Bepop? Do you think this is going to impact your research in any way? Additionally, how are you going to distinguish between meaningful and non-meaningful changes? This seems very subjective and I think you will need to establish solid criteria within your methods section in order to not make it sound like you are randomly throwing pieces of data out. I am also a bit confused on how you are going to find your themes out of all the data you are finding.

    ReplyDelete