Sunday, February 12, 2017

Almost There

This past week I finished noting down the changes in the first 26 episodes of Dragon Ball Z and the first 16 episodes of Cowboy Bebop. Now all that remains are ten more episodes of Cowboy Bebop  and Spirited Away. However, I have to admit that I have not given my Literature Review and my Methods section much attention, so I really need to step that up.


But, my meeting with Mrs. Haag last time really helped me. Originally, I had planned on writing down all the changes before going back to individually code the changes for their themes. However, Mrs. Haag recommended that I should be coding while I am identifying the changes. I think that has been the best move I have made so far, as the research has become much more efficient and I feel a lot more confident about my research. As I have been identifying the thematic changes that happen, I have been noticing a few recurring patterns, so I think it would be most appropriate if I devote this blogpost to discussing these patterns.


The largest—and perhaps the most obvious—change that happens is that Japanese collectivist characteristics are individualized in the American anime. There are different facets that contribute to this overall pattern, from how a character interacts with his family to how a character responds to a certain event. I know that all of this sounds vague, but they will be much more clear and specific once I have gone around to actually naming the themes. Besides individualism and culturalism, I have found a pattern where time is seen as a much more precious commodity in the American version than the Japanese version. Another interesting theme is the perception of the environment. In the American versions, the environment is appreciated more for how it can be used by humans, whereas in the Japanese version, the environment is appreciated for itself.


But, the most interesting pattern I have found is around specificity and ambiguity. I have noticed that the American version is much more ambiguous than the Japanese version when talking about the future. For example:


The titles to the Dragon Ball Z episodes in Japanese reveal a lot of information about the plot of the upcoming episode... 
...while the American title is much more vague. 
However, on the other hand, when talking about the present or past, the Japanese version is more ambiguous than the American version. For example:


In the very first scene of Dragon Ball Z, the English narrator speaks in great detail on the events leading up to the story, while the Japanese narrator talks only broadly about the same events.
We are rapidly approaching our Feb. 19th deadline. I am feeling much more confident about my research, and my methods have become a lot clearer. Hopefully I will be able to find more interesting results!


Word Count: 478

5 comments:

  1. Moral of the story: always listen to Mrs. Haag!

    Hi Gursajan! Sounds like you’ve been doing a lot of work at home watching TV and coding changes and identifying theme. So yeah, I know you addressed that your description was really vague, but how does American anime individuize characteristics in Japanese anime? I know you talk about English titles being more general, and English narrations being more specific, but then how does that relate back to individualism and collectivism??

    Also, yeah, you should take another look at the literature review and the methods, because I realized certain more nuanced things that I actually did carrying out the methods that I didn’t realize when I envisioned what I was going to do while writing my methods before (if that made any sense). So yeah, update the methods while you’re actually doing the methods. AND GOOD LUCK!!!

    Kthxbye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're reading of the moral is correct. Haha, just kidding!

      Delete
  2. Hey Gursajan!

    So it sounds like you've got a pretty good amount of your data collected, which is pretty good. At the same time, I would take the couple days before your meeting to look over your literature review and methods because, not to make it seem like a lot of time (because it's not), but all of the data isn't due until the 19th. Maybe dedicate half a day to categorizing data and getting that all into place and take the other half of the day to really focus on the other parts of your paper that need work. Also, it's awesome that you've found a way to collect and group your data in a more efficient way. Teach me your ways lol.

    I also think it's really interesting that you found the way that the American version to talk about the future much more ambiguous and vague. Keep that in mind when you're talking about other research that could be done.

    Anyway, everything looks good and make sure you don't forget about those other sections because pretty soon you're going to be too occupied with writing the results and discussion to be going back and forth between the sections.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Gursajan!! It sounds like you've been getting a lot done, which is great. I'm glad that you found a better way to conduct the actual research - coding while identifying themes seems like it'll not only be more efficient, but also more accurate! Also, I think it's very important that you go back and edit particularly your methods because you really changed your methods.

    It's really interesting to hear about the differences between Japanese and American anime. While you're finding these differences, I think you should also keep in mind possible reasons for why these differences are present. I'm really interested to see what else you find!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gursajan, I'm so happy that the change we talked about worked well in the implementation of your methods. I think so much of the process is ensuring that you feel confident, so having confidence and seeing patterns is an invaluable feat to have achieved at this point.

    Moreover, I am looking forward to seeing the data in its final form when we meet on Monday and discuss the plan for thinking about, analyzing, and organizing the results. Keep it up and don't get lazy!

    ReplyDelete