Sunday, August 28, 2016

Singing in the Rain

Anime is a multibillion dollar industry in America. The anime fan culture in America is one of the largest subcultures in the country. Anime has definitely become a multicultural phenomenon that shows how globalization has affected the spread of media and culture around the globe.

When looking at anime editing from its original Japanese version to the new American version, it is important to look at not just anime, but the broader ideas that surround it. The subtopics to form my literature review need to encompass the general theme: America’s interpretation of foreign culture. At the same time, my subtopics will also adress the more specific theme regarding the difference between American and Japanese culture, through the editing of anime. 

With this in mind, I decided to come up with the following nine subtopics: globalization of culture, assimilation of foreign culture in America, American culture, Japanese culture, anime fans and culture in America, anime audience, subtitling anime, the influence of anime in America, editing and dubbing of anime in America. These are the most pertinent subtopics, that I believe I will need to adress in my paper. However, that does not mean that this list will not change, as there still is lots of uncharted territory to explore. 

Happy that I'm getting somewhere.
Of these subtopics, globalization of culture, and the assimilation of foreign culture in America adress the more broader theme of the digestion of foreign culture in America. These are important in giving the reader a sense of what the importance of my whole paper will be. Globalization and assimilation will give me material to use for contextualizing the purpose of my paper. 

Looking at how American culture absorbs Japanese culture requires that we first define what either are. Therefore, the subtopics that look to define American and Japanese culture are essential to my literature. Further, before I look at how anime is edited, I need to look at anime fans and culture in America in general. This could be a more specific subtopic under the overall American culture subtopic. Also, going with the fans and culture, I will have to compare the audience of anime in Japan and America. Moreover, looking at the influence of anime in America, and the most influential anime in America will help point me in the right direction regarding which anime series to study in my methods.

The last subtopic is the most specific and relevant one. Before I go and compare how dubbing of anime changes the themes in anime, I need to understand how this dubbing process actually work. It is also important that my reader has a clear picture of how the dubbing and localization process works regarding an anime.


In this past week, I have been able to read and put four sources on my document. All of them have given me interesting material to work with—although I have yet not found an article that I can call my foundational source. But, there is still plenty of time and, surprisingly, hundreds of research papers, even books, on anime. 


(506)

4 comments:

  1. Gursajan,

    I think that your subtopics are really relevant and specific to your research, so you're already ahead of the game. With useful subtopics, it'll help not only your search for sources but also your plan for organizing sources.

    I also really appreciate your analysis of the ROLE of each of your subtopics. If you're constantly reminding yourself about the purpose of each subtopic, it'll keep you from being distracted by tangents and it'll help maintain your focus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gursajan, you are killing it. You have a great list of subtopics pertinent to your research, and it is great that you already have 4 sources read through and completed on your spreadsheet. Your thought process on how you are going to piece your subtopics together into your lit review is also very logical. My only question is, is there a specific way you are going to tackle looking into Japanese and American culture? As for a suggestion, maybe consider, under the broad topic of Japanese and American culture, especially focus on their media culture/pop culture (how they portray characters in fictional media). That way it's a little less broad and more pertinent to your research, but I also understand why a general overview of culture may be necessary. Good luck finding more sources! Keep up being awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of this, but it may be helpful to try to tackle a facet of Japanese and American culture rather than trying to define them both as a whole.

      Delete
  3. First, I love you subtopics. They are 10000000x more specific than mine. Good job. The only issue I have is with your two subtopics of anime fans and culture in America and the influence of anime in America. How are these different? Isn't the anime culture in America cause by the influence of anime in America? How are you going to clearly distinguish them or why did you separate them? Aren't most sources coving one going to be covering the other? (Sorry I just realized I bombarded you with questions) Also what do you think your foundational source(s) is going to be and what is your plan for using these sources? Going off of Audrey, you should probably focus on pop culture to limit your scope as well as find a specific time period to focus on to cut down the scope of your argument because right now it is still a little bit too broad. You may need to broadly look at both American and Japanese culture, but you should go in depth and focus on a specific aspect of culture, such as pop culture. I think you are on a great path and please for the love of god cut down your annotated bibliography :)

    ReplyDelete