Sunday, February 19, 2017

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(Sorry, I just couldn’t think of a good title for this blogpost.)



It is scary to think that after next week, we will already be nearly ⅓ of our way done with our research project. At the beginning of the year, I thought I could take it slow and take my time doing my research during the third trimester, but boy was I wrong. This past week has been hella (sorry) busy. Not only did I finish my analysis of the rest of Cowboy Bebop and Spirited Away, I also managed to organize and categorize all of my data in a manner that makes it a lot easier to understand and interpret. On top of that, I redid my methods and changed the way I show the academic gap in my literature review. I really did not have a clear picture of what I was doing when I wrote my methods, however, now that I know exactly what I did, I can hopefully articulate me methods a lot more clearly.

Finished coding all the episodes of Cowboy Bebop. It's a good show, I recommend that you watch it (even if you are not into anime.)

Unfortunately, there is no school Monday, so my regular weekly, Monday morning, meeting with Mrs. Haag had to be postponed until Thursday. So I will take this opportunity to discuss my data analysis. Originally, when I had planned out my methods, I assumed my raw data collection would be me simply noting down the changes between the dubbed and subtitled versions of the anime. Then, I had planned on my analysis being me assigning codes and then categorizing my codes into themes as my data analysis. However, due to Mrs. Haag’s brilliance, I have already finished the latter part when I did it alongside my data collection.

I know it may be a little hard to read, but this is just a quick overview of some parts of my thematic categorization. Each color represents a general theme, and each column is a sub-theme. The data points below are the examples that represent each theme.



Therefore, my data analysis will be me trying to finalize my list of themes. I have found all my themes and sub-themes through the categorization of my data, however the list is not final since I still need to refine the themes’ names, give them definitions, find compelling examples of them, and determine their validity. The biggest part is determining the intra-reader validity of the themes. I am planning on re-coding 5 random episodes of both Dragon Ball Z and Cowboy Bebop as well as all of Spirited Away. I am thinking that I will follow the exact same steps for the re-coding and compare the resulting themes from the second coding to the original themes. Right now, I don’t know how I will reevaluate my themes based on my validity check, so only once I get all of my themes from the validity check will I be able to actually able to determine that.

Word Count: 432


5 comments:

  1. Gursajan -- thank you for citing my "brilliance" in your response. Much appreciated.

    I really love that you realized the complexity of the research process and recognize the importance of uncovering the nuances sooner rather than later.

    Furthermore, I think the refinements you discussed in defining the themes and finding illustrative examples will be so valuable when you go to actually write your results section.

    I'm so happy with all of the progress you've made! You're a star.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gursajan! It is really cool to see your progress. Now that you have a clearer idea, it is awesome that you were able to modify your literature review and methods to make them more aligned with what you actually were able to do! Despite having to go back and redo somethings, doing your data collection alongside your data analysis is a clever, effective way of making sure you get everything done on time! It is good to see that you recognize the drawbacks of your initial plan and now you are more confident in your process. This might be because I am new to your research, so you have probably mentioned in a previous post, but what are some of the themes you looked at? That would be cool to see in your next post, once you have names and examples refined. It looks like you are making great process and are planning to complete numerous validity checks (recoding, intra-reader validity, and reevaluating the themes). Once you finish the recoding and the finalizing of all the things you are looking for, I think how to reaffirm the validity will become more clear. If not, you can always reference other methods from the sources you have read and see if you come up with anything. Your research seems so cool! I love anime? But I'm kind of a poser because I have basically only seen like 5 of the really popular ones! My favorites will always be Steins;Gate and Code Geass, which you didn't analyze. But um, I watched Dragon Ball Z as a kid, so v nostalgic! Good luck and I can't wait to see what your results are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gursajan,
    It's great to see you making real progress on your project and getting to a good place. Organization is the key 🔑. So it's great that you have a system in place to help you keep your data organized. Recoding is a great way to ensure validity, so it's reassuring to see you working hard and recoding. I'm not really sure what the themes are that you looked at, but my question would be what themes and aspects of anime are you currently missing? Once you understand that, the data analysis will come. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gursajan,
    It's great to see you making real progress on your project and getting to a good place. Organization is the key 🔑. So it's great that you have a system in place to help you keep your data organized. Recoding is a great way to ensure validity, so it's reassuring to see you working hard and recoding. I'm not really sure what the themes are that you looked at, but my question would be what themes and aspects of anime are you currently missing? Once you understand that, the data analysis will come. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Gursajan, its my first time checking out your blog and lemme just tell you that it looks awesome! Also your topic is pretty legit, and its definitely something I would never have thought of doing. I think it was a great idea to categorize your themes as you went along, it probably saved a lot of time in the long run. Forgive me if I don't have a clue as to what's going on, but when you say that you will assign themes, how exactly is that gonna work? Are you using some previous study? Just something I was confused about. Once again, your project seems hella (not sorry) cool and I cant wait to find out what results you get!

    ReplyDelete